7: At the Car Wash
Episode 7 · January 30th, 2015 · 48 mins 52 secs
About this Episode
Derek and Sean talk trade schools, sneaky bugs, bad method names, before_filters, and the Superbowl.
- Turing School and Metis trade schools.
- "Car Wash" by Rose Royce
- Sean introduces
accessed_fieldsto the ActiveRecord Attributes API.
- Peek for insights into your rails app.
- Bullet for hunting down N+1 queries and unused eager loading.
- What does Faraday middleware look like?
- The Clearance redirect loop Derek introduced and fixed.
before filterand its friends have been deprecated in Rails 5.0
- The various ways people set instance variables in Rails controllers.
- problems from _before_type_cast
- dirty checking causes errors
RangeErrors are hard (Sean's solution to the test placement problem was to not commit the test)